Saturday, December 10, 2022

Innovavisitpay.org scam

I had a hospital bill from Inova that I needed to pay, and I didn't remember my login so I just called the pay-by-phone option.  It told me I could pay online at "Inovavisitpay.org", but it didn't spell it for me.  I quickly typed in "Innovavisitpay.org" which looked like a hospital website and said something about putting patients first, and had a prominent link for Medical Billing Services.

It didn't look quite right to me so I checked the spelling and realized I had typed 2 n's instead of 1.  I typed it in correctly, got to the right site and was able to pay my bill.

Not sure exactly what would have happened if I had clicked on any of the options of the first site, but clearly it's some kind of scam, preying on people trying to reach inova's billing software.

I tried googling Innovavisitpay.org in quotes and got literally zero hits, so while there is a hospital in Texas that uses 2 n's, this isn't that.  Maybe future googlers will end up on this site.

In my comments about Inova's service, I encouraged them to try to shut down the scam site.  But they probably don't have much incentive to do so.  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment